Patriotism is one of the most important things that you can teach to your kid. The current Government's non-stop appeals to patriotism are due, as we saw, to the fact that some of the traditional means by which the American state secured its legitimacy—such as the Supreme Court and elections—have lost some of their democratic luster, at least temporarily.

These heartfelt songs portray and tell a story of what patriotism is all about, and the words to the songs proclaim a deep love and devotion for America. My grandpa served in the Navy, my siblings and I were Scouts, and our front porch is decked out with red, white and blue ribbon anytime a national holiday rolls around.

This is representative not only of a partisan distinction in definitions of patriotism, but also of a difference in how those specific media outlets talk about patriotism and American identity. And Labour's housing spokesman, John Healey, insists that the most successful movements of the left have shown pride in the national flag ".

While moral philosophers debate the standing of patriotism as an instance of the problem of reconciling universal moral considerations with particular attachments and loyalties, political theorists are primarily interested in patriotism as an ethos of the well-ordered polity and an antidote to nationalism.

It is understandable that individual citizens' notions of what in any given case is or is not a national value vary. The Spanish-American War helped give patriotic celebration new national significance. Writings from our country's founders show men who envisioned a land made up of oppressed peoples from all nations on Earth.

I have already several times expressed the thought that in our day the feeling of patriotism is an unnatural, irrational, and harmful feeling, and a cause of a great part of the ills from which mankind is suffering, and that, consequently, this feeling - should not be cultivated, as is now being done, but should, on the contrary, be suppressed and eradicated by all means available to rational men.

To be thorough, it should be noted that the social exclusivity of the nation as a community of shared values that was open only to the noble elites of feudal society only began to break down with the revolts of the Flemish towns in the first half of the fourteenth century and the Hussite movement in the Czech lands a century later, when national cohesion spread across all of society.
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수

오늘 :
204 / 720
어제 :
236 / 814
전체 :
572,037 / 18,849,776

XE Login