Earth's Atmosphere Layers For Kids

조회 수 2 추천 수 0 2020.07.05 02:43:55
id="mod_15359364">
Teaching Kids About the Earth's Surrounding Layers of Air

The Earth's Atmosphere

Like the three layers—crust, mantle, and core—found inside the Earth, the outer area around the Earth also has layers. These are measurable areas that hang around above the Earth's surface and into the transparent air, each having their own temperatures and effects.

As Back to School Activities start to come into play, the simple fascination with the world around us may land at the forefront of this school year's Earth Science studies. Among the many things about the Earth we often ponder, the air has to be the most important of all. The earth's atmosphere has five distinct layers—Troposphere, Stratosphere, Mesosphere, Thermosphere, and Exosphere—of air that support, protect, and one that remains unstudied for the most part.

A fun project and an easy to read "Earth Air Table" will be found along with simple to understand earth science information. Today we will embark on defining each of the "Earth's Air Layer's" and their reason for hanging around; also discover why the Mesosphere is referred to as the "ignorosphere" by some scientists. Let's get started!

The Earth's Atmosphere

The word "atmosphere" (from the Greek "atmos," or breath, and "sphaira," ball) refers to the gas that surrounds any planet or star. Earth's atmosphere, which is held in place by Earth's gravity, is made up of nitrogen, oxygen, argon, carbon dioxide, small amounts of other gases, and a little bit of water vapor—in other words, what we call "air." Our atmosphere gives us a protective barrier from the sun's ultraviolet radiation and a cushion against the changing extremes of temperature day to day.

EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE: TROPOSPHERE

Earth's First Layer of Air: Troposphere

Greek for "tropos," meaning turning or change.

Closest to the Earth, starting as close as just above the surface of the Earth and extending as high as 60,000 feet up, you will find the Troposphere. This is where we live everyday of our lives. Because all of the other layers are pressing down on the troposphere due to gravity, this is also the layer of Earth's atmosphere that contains the greatest amount of pressure. The majority of our weather systems are found within the troposphere, which gets colder the higher up it goes. Eighty percent (80%) of the Earth's atmosphere is found in this layer, which is why it sustains life so well, and because it also has the greatest concentration of oxygen of the five layers.

Fun Classroom Art Project

How to Make Sock Puppets with Kids, Cheap Easy Fun [video]
Learn how to quickly, easily, and very cheaply make a Sock Puppet at home. The video takes you through an easy step by step process that is so much fun, everyone will want to make their own Sock Puppet! Great for Playing, fundraising, gifting and so

EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE: MESOSPHERE

Earth's Third Layer of Air - Mesosphere

Greek for "mesos," meaning middle.

Extending from around 160,000 feet to 285,000 feet, the mesosphere is the coldest of the five layers of Earth's atmosphere—more cold than the coldest temperature ever recorded in Antarctica (-129°F!). This freezing cold layer is the biggest protector of the Earth when it comes to meteorites: most meteors burn up when they enter this part of Earth's atmosphere. Not very much is known about the mesosphere because it begins just a little higher than the maximum altitude allowed for aircraft, but lower than the minimum altitude for rocket ships and other spacecraft. Because of the limiting factors to this layer, the mesosphere has not been explored very much at all, causing some scientist to call this layer the "ignorosphere."

EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE: STRATOSPHERE

Earth's Second Layer of Air: Stratosphere

Greek for "stratus," meaning to stretch or extend.

The second layer to Earth's atmosphere is the stratosphere, which stretches out to about 160,000 feet above the Earth and contains the ozone layer, which is just about 50,000-115,000 feet above the Earth's surface. The bottom part of the stratosphere has an almost constant temperature, however this layer (unlike the troposphere) gets hotter and hotter the higher it goes. You will see commercial airliners flying in the bottom part of this layer of Earth's air to avoid all of the turbulence and bad weather found in the highest parts of the troposphere.

EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE - LAYERS OF AIR

(click column header to sort results)

LAYER 

MEASURING (above Earth's Surface)

ATTRIBUTES OF LAYER

Troposhere 

Extends as high as 60,000 feet 

Most weather systems are in this layer; gets colder as it goes higher; 80% of the atmoasphere's mass is in this layer. 

Stratosphere 

Extends as high as 160,000 feet 

Contains the ozone layer; lower part of layer stays a constant temperature; layer increases in heat at the higher levels: airplanes fly in the lowest regions.  

Mesosphere 

Extends from 160,000 feet to 285,000 feet 

Coldest of atmospheric layers; protects earth from meteors; little more is known about of this layer;  nick-named "ignorosphere."

Thermosphere

Extends from 285,000 feet to 400,000 feet

Gets hotter the higher it goes; empty of matter; contains the ionosphere; the Aurora Borealis are formed here.

Exosphere

Extends more than 6,000 MILES into space

Only the lightest gases are found at this layer; most satellites orbit in this layer.

EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE: THERMOSPHERE

Earth's Fourth Layer of Air - Thermosphere

Greek for "thermos," which means hot.

Right above the mesosphere, the thermosphere is about 285,000 feet to over 400,000 feet. This layer of Earth's air gets increasingly hotter as it goes farther away from the Earth's surface. Even though it is so very hot (temperatures can get as hot as 27,000°F!), it is ultimately empty of any matter. Because of the lack of matter here, a normal thermometer would read the temperature to be way below zero. This layer also contains the ionosphere, which is the part of the atmosphere that gets ionized by the sun's solar radiation. It is also the area where auroras like the Aurora Borealis, or "Northern Lights," are created.

HOW MUCH HAVE YOU LEARNED ABOUT THE EARTH'S LAYERS OF AIR?

view quiz statistics

EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE: EXOSHERE

Earth's Fifth Layer of Air - Exosphere

Greek for "exose," meaning outer or exterior.

This is the highest region of the Earth's atmosphere, and extends more than 6,000 miles into space. At this level, the last level before outer space, the only gases that can float this high have to be the lightest gases (mostly hydrogen, and small amounts of helium, carbon dioxide, and atomic oxygen). The density of these molecules is so low that there is rarely any chance that they will run into each other. With no collisions holding these molecules back, they are able to escape Earth's gravitational pull and gracefully drift off into outer space. The exoshpere is also where you find most of the worlds satellites to be orbiting.

Completing the "Earth Atmosphere Project" Below

Below you will find a colorful and fun project dealing with the Earth's Atmosphere. It is designed in four easy to complete sections, each offering a different task. After discussing or reading the article, print and hand out the project worksheet. It is self explanatory and makes a great classroom project as well as an interesting homework project. In either case, https://canvas.pbsteacherline.org/eportfolios/2146/exam_preparation/Updated__Actual_CompTIASY0501_Dumps to get the most from the project, a discussion around the the topic of the Earth's Layers of Air would be helpful.

This fun "Earth's Atmosphere Project Worksheet" can be completed in the classroom or as a great homework assignment! | Source

Try These Earth Friendly Study Guides with their own Projects!

Predicting Weather with Weather Folklore for Kids
Teaching children how to read the natural weather by looking at reliable weather folklore. Reading mother nature along the hiking trail or when camping.

Categorizing Clouds for Kids: Cloud Pictures and Project
Teach children about cloud names and what makes them different. Who named the clouds and what do the names really mean? Cloud images and guide charts.

Static Electricity Science Project For Kids: Swinging Cereal
Did you know ordinary cereal can be used to demonstrate the properties of static electricity in an engaging science project?

An Earth Video

Related

Astronomy & Space Exploration

Human Space Exploration
by James A Watkins86

Astronomy & Space Exploration

Planet Earth-In A Perfect Position To Support Life
by James Bowden10

Geology

Earth's Layers and Soil Composition Lesson
by Shannon31

Popular

Teaching

A Perspective Towards Online Education During Covid-19 Lockdown.
by Amit Sharma0

Teaching

What Makes a Good Professor
by LoganG4

Teaching

A Simple Guide to Teaching Resilience
by Mohan Kumar5

Comments for "Earth's Atmosphere Layers For kids"

Submit a Comment

You Must Sign In To Comment
To comment on this article, you must sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

jhairalyn nunag

8 years ago

its so beautiful and wonderful .and its guide the children.thanks

Lexia 3

8 years ago

Very good article

jenniferzhao

8 years ago

the blog post is really the freshest on this noteworthy theme. I harmonize with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to hear your coming updates.

We have a fully trained staff, each of which has at least 10 years of experience and some with over 20 years of experience in castings, machining,

Stainless Steel Valves

Hinges

AUTHOR
India Arnold

8 years ago from Northern, California

hanwillingham~ Thank you for your comments today. I did have fun researching the Earth's Surrounding Layers of Air! The atmosphere has always amazed me!

I appreciat your stopping by~

K9

hanwillingham

8 years ago

Well-researched hub!Great work.

AUTHOR
India Arnold

Patty Inglish, MS ~ How funny your 4th grade story! It brings a smile that you approve of this little Earth's Atmosphere Hub for kids. BTW, was not surprised to see you among the Hubbie Award Celebs! Congrats! And thank you for your comments here today.

HubHgs~

K9

Patty Inglish MS

8 years ago from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation

Very cool!

In 4th grade, we were to color in the atmospheres and for Troposphere we called out at once - What color crayon is "clear"?

Rated Up.

AUTHOR
India Arnold

Simone~ Thank you for making it by today. I find the topic of Earth's Atmosphere thrilling as well. I sure appreciate your comments and support!

Cheers~

K9

Simone Haruko Smith

8 years ago from San Francisco

Oh boy, my old Historical Geology days are coming back! I had forgotten that the Mesosphere is actually the coldest. Fascinating stuff, this is! Thermosphere FTW!!!

AUTHOR
India Arnold

Vicki~ Thanks for the nice comments. I am thrilled that you found the information on the Earth's Atmoshpere worth the read!

Cheers~

K9

vickiturner

8 years ago

What a fascinating hub! Some hubs are just a mine of information, this one included.

AUTHOR
India Arnold

glassvisage~ Thank you very much for the review. I hope it helps a teacher have time to settle-in as the new school year arrives. Tried to make it a fun school project for the kids as well! I appreciate you making it by for a read!

Cheers~

K9

Nell! So nice to see you cruised over to check out the Earth's Atmosphere! Thrilled you like the work and flattered you will be bookmarking. Best of the day to you my friend!

HubHugs~

K9

Nell Rose

8 years ago from England

Hi, this was an amazing hub, I always get each layer muddled up, and this was such a fantastic read, I will bookmark it and definitely be back to read it again, great stuff! cheers nell

glassvisage

8 years ago from Northern California

Great resources for a teacher on this topic - you pretty much just handed over a great lesson plan :)

tebo

8 years ago from New Zealand

Great hub. The video was very cool too. Interesting that the different layers are hot, cold, hot and the layer with little known about it due to its position.

AUTHOR
India Arnold

Phil Plasma~ Great observation my friend! The Earth's troposphere is where we live and breathe...unless you're an astronaut! ;)

Thanks for the comments!

Cheers~

K9

AUTHOR
India Arnold

Sagebrush_mama~ Thank you for the delightful comments, quite grateful! I agree with you that the table helps to define Earth's Layers of Air at a glance. Pleased you noticed the effort.

Happy to see you in the neighborhood today!

HubHugs!

K9

AUTHOR
India Arnold

John Dee~ How cool! I hope your kids learn some fun earth stuff and I am thrilled that you consider my hubs a worthy teaching tool. I really appreciate your comments!

Cheers~

K9

Phil Plasma

8 years ago from Montreal, Quebec

Most people do not seem to know they spend considerable time in the troposphere on a daily basis. This is a good reminder to them.

sagebrush_mama

8 years ago from The Shadow of Death Valley...Snow Covered Mountain Views Abound!

Beautiful formatting on this very informative hub! I love your use of the table, in explaining the different layers of the Earth's atmosphere!

John D Lee

8 years ago

Lovely job! I will be checking your other hubs in detail to get ideas for teaching my kids some cool stuff.

AUTHOR
India Arnold

Cara thanks for stopping by and adding your kind comments. I sure appreciate your time!

HubHugs~

K9

cardelean

8 years ago from Michigan

That's awesome, 200 hubs, congrats! I'm still inching toward 100. :) This is another fantastic, very thorough, well laid out hub. Once again I'm wishing that this was something that was in my curriculum. Great job!

AUTHOR
India Arnold

How cool, I didn't even make the connection until I read your comment! Thanks Flora! 200 Hubs and counting!!

FloraBreenRobison

8 years ago

This is your 200th hub! Congratulations.
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수

오늘 :
170 / 614
어제 :
224 / 824
전체 :
567,938 / 18,834,904

XE Login