Melissa Joan Hart was slammed for a post showing a 1935 post of Bill Robinson and Shirley Temple in The Little Colonel amid the Black Lives Matter movement.

The 44-year-old was apparently trying to demonstrate solidarity via the Instagram upload, which showed the first interracial dance duo in Hollywood history.

However commenters quickly noted that the movie was shot on a plantation and took issue with Melissa's use of Bill's nickname 'Bojangles,' and she has since deleted the post.

'I know you mean well': Melissa Joan Hart was slammed as 'not helpful' for a Black Lives Matter post showing a 1935 post of Bill Robinson and Shirley Temple in The Little Colonel

Melissa's Instagram picture was a still of the historic scene of Bill and Shirley dancing together on the stairs of the Southern mansion in the film.

The interracial dance had to be cut from the film when it played in the South which was still in the grip of Jim Crow segregation.

RELATED ARTICLES

Previous

Next

BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Drag wasn't my bag but I love it! Richard E.... Betty White, 98, to star as drill sergeant who 'whips...

Share this article

Melissa wrote: 'The post of #MrRogers by @danicamckellar reminded me of one of my favorite Shirley Temple movies #TheLittleColonel because of the history of the #Stairdance she did with the incredible #BillyBojanglesRobinson.

'When studying the life of Shirley I learned that it was the first time an interracial couple danced on screen together,' she added.

'Meant to show friendship': The 44-year-old said she was trying to demonstrate solidarity via the Instagram upload, which showed the first interracial dance duo in Hollywood history

'Errrrr': One commenter wrote: 'Did you miss the part about this scene taking place *on a plantation*? Look, I know you mean well by this, but it's not helpful'

Unimpressed: Although she deleted the Bill Robinson and Shirley Temple picture from Instagram it remained on her Twitter and attracted furious replies there

'#Tonedeaf': The replies to her tweet also filled up with various GIFs of people expressing exasperation, shock or contempt

'Bojangles wasn't allowed to hold her hand but Shirley grabbed his anyhow during the dance and it made history,' wrote Melissa.

'She also gives him full credit for making her a better dancer, as did Gene Kelly. #spreadlove Ps this post was purely meant to show friendship!'

One commenter wrote: 'Errrrr. Did you miss the part about this scene taking place *on a plantation*? Look, I know you mean well by this, but it's not helpful.'

The commenter continued: 'Black people are begging for our help right now - giving them a story where a white girl plays the hero is not it. Bill Robinson was an incredible man, but try calling your black friends "BoJangles" and see what they have to say about it. I know your heart is bigger and better than this.'

Melissa replied: 'yes the story takes place on a plantation and Shirley was the one who helped bring a smile to people's faces but this story that i posted is about friendship and about breaking barriers.'

Another commenter wrote, according to The Sun: 'I totally get this post. I really do. However the term Mr Bojangles is used in our communities to describe a black persons who panders and entertains white supremacy.'

The Sabrina The Teenage Witch star replied to that comment as well, writing that 'that was his nickname but Shirley called him uncle Billy.'

After deleting the throwback post she replaced it with a Bible quote, citing 1 Corinthians 12:25-26 from the New International Version.

'Amen!': After deleting the throwback post she replaced it with a Bible quote, citing 1 Corinthians 12:25-26 from the New International Version

'There should be no division in he body, but that its parts should have equal concern for one another. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it,' read the quote, to which Melissa added the caption: 'Amen!'

'You have a long way to go in self-education yourself. Pure ignorance,' wrote one commenter while another chimed in: 'This is her way of saying "all lives matter" without saying it.'

Although she deleted the Bill Robinson and Shirley Temple picture from Instagram it remained on her Twitter and 영화 보기 attracted furious replies there

>'I...I...I...but you... really?!? Huh. Of all the actual groundbreaking moments that exist in the world of film, you chose this one to label as groundbreaking. Huh,' read one

>'Sigh... Are you being deliberately offensive or are you genuinely this tone deaf?' read another.

>'This was not about "breaking barriers" Do u really think black people had a choice on a plantation? That they always smiled because he wanted to? He was a servant. That 5 year old in that stereotypical pic u chose to post had more rights than him. And u post this now? #Tonedeaf,' wrote another

>The replies to her tweet also filled up with various GIFs of people expressing exasperation, shock or contempt

>Bill Robinson told the New York Times Magazine in 1938 that the idea for the staircase dance in The Little Colonel came to him in a dream

>'I thought I was being made a Lord by the King Of England and he was standing at the head of a flight of stairs and I had to walk up to get my crown and I didn't like the idea of just walking up the steps before the King, so I thought I'd dance up, and the next morning when I woke up I knew I had a good idea,' he said

>Origin story: Bill Robinson told the New York Times Magazine in 1938 that the idea for the staircase dance in The Little Colonel came to him in a drea

>In her autobiography Child Star, Shirley recalled striking up a warm friendship with Bill while they worked together on The Little Colonel

>'Robinson walked a step ahead of us, but when he noticed me hurrying to catch up, he shortened his stride to accommodate mine. I kept reaching up for his hand, but he hadn't looked down and seemed unaware,' she wrote

>'Fannie called his attention to what I was doing, so he stopped short, bent low over me, his eyes wide and rows of brilliant teeth showing in a wide smile. When he took my hand in his, it felt large and cool. For a few moments, we continued walking in silence. "Can I call you Uncle Billy?" I asked

>'"Why sure you can," he replied... "But then I get to call you darlin′." It was a deal. From then on, whenever we walked together it was hand in hand, and I was always his "darlin′,"' Shirley wrote in the

br />Read m

br />Melissa Joan Hart slammed by fans for posting ‘racist' 1935 image of actors Shirley Temple and Bill Robinson - The US Sun
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수

오늘 :
52 / 157
어제 :
215 / 724
전체 :
567,139 / 18,832,135

XE Login