Sir Winston Churchill's statue is once again looking out over Parliament Square today after workers removed the metal boards covering it ahead of the French president's visit to London.

A team of staff, dressed in hard hats and protective clothing, set to work yesterday removing the protective box around the former Prime Minister's monument just in time for President Emmanuel Macron's visit to the capital today.

Sir Winston's statue, along with those of Nelson Mandela and Gandhi, was boarded up on June 12, after it was daubed with graffiti accusing him of being a 'racist' amid Black Lives Matter protests.

The protests, which also saw far-right demonstrators clash with police, followed the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25. 

The Winston Churchill statue is pictured at Parliament Square in Westminster this morning having had the boarding taken down 

A man looks up at the Winston Churchill statue at Parliament Square this morning

The boarding has been taken down from the Winston Churchill statue in London this morning

The boarding around the Winston Churchill statue is taken down overnight in Westminster

London Mayor Sadiq Khan's office confirmed to MailOnline the boarding would be removed before Mr Macron's visit.

The boards around the statutes of Gandhi and Mandela will stay pending a 'review'.   

A spokesman said: 'The covering around the Winston Churchill statue will be removed for the visit of President Macron to London.

'But the protective coverings around the statues of Mandela and Gandhi, which the mayor is also responsible for, will stay in place 'under review'.

English Heritage said the boards around the Cenotaph were taken down on Monday night.

A DBR worker, who went by the name of Winston and 새로나온 어른 만화 추천 사이트 who was originally tasked with removing the graffiti from Sir Winston's statue, fears it could take 'all night' to remove the vandalism which is set deep into the rough stone.

The DBR London worker said: 'I've already got the paint out, but the ghosting is still there.

'It's rough granite so it's going to be difficult to get into the actual stone i

I think it's going to take all night. I'm not happy honestly, because I'd rather be sleeping.'

List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수

오늘 :
52 / 154
어제 :
215 / 724
전체 :
567,139 / 18,832,132

XE Login