On the one-year anniversary of Hayez's disappearance, his cousin Lisa Hayez filmed an emotional video thanking volunteers who have worked tirelessly to find him 

The family of missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez has shared heartbreaking tributes to the teenager exactly one year after he went missing in Byron Bay. 

The 19-year-old vanished on May 31 last year after leaving Cheeky Monkey's bar in the northern New South Wales town. He hasn't been seen or heard from since.

On the one-year anniversary of his disappearance, friends and family watched from around the globe as  volunteer search teams came together at Byron to light its ­famous lighthouse in orange, Theo's favourite colour.  

The backpacker's cousin Lisa Hayez filmed an emotional video displayed at the lighthouse in which she vowed to never give up looking for him. 

'We all miss you so much. You're the kind of person who brings so much happiness to everyone who meets you,' Lisa said.  

'You cannot imagine how much I miss your laugh... every time I saw you I couldn't stop laughing because you were naturally making me so happy.

Theo Hayez with his girlfriend Severine Marcotty. Theo vanished on May 31 last year after leaving Cheeky Monkey's in Byron Bay, northern New South Wales

Theo Hayez was last seen leaving the Cheeky Monkey Bar on May 31 in Byron Bay, northern New South Wales

'You and me have been together since we were born. You've always been like a brother to me.

'If I had to describe you in a few words, I would say happiness, respect and love.'

Lisa went on to thank the team of volunteers who have searched day and night to look for her cousin, who was travelling Australia on a gap year after finishing school in Belgium.

'Since the 31st of May, Byron Bay changed. People who didn't know each other before united with the same goal; finding you,' Lisa said. 

Theo Hayez was last seen leaving Cheeky Monkey's in Byron Bay on May 31

'They never stopped for a second, and trust me they're not ready to stop til we know what happened to you.

'It looks like you hand-picked each of them to create the best, strongest and most amazing team to try and find you. 

'Thank you Theo, thank you so much for being a great guy, a great son, a great brother. You deserve all the respect in the world.

'I promise you that we're never going to give up. I hope so much that wherever you are, you're okay and happy.'

Hayez's father Laurent also paid tribute on Sunday, sharing a picture of the pair together when Theo was a three-year-old, along with a story about the missing man's childhood.  

'During painful moments, poetry and philosophy often help to ease the pain,' Laurent shared on Facebook.

'At the age of 18, my father gave me a framed poem printed on parchment paper. 

'This frame has since accompanied me and has been hanging for a long time on the wall of my bedroom or office.

'This poem was written by Rudyard Kipling, also author of the ''Jungle Book'', the first cartoon that I watched many times with Theo and his little brother.

Hayez's father Laurent also paid tribute on Sunday with a heartwarming story about Theo's childhood along with an old photo 

'On Theo's 18th birthday, one month and a half before his departure for Australia, I had the pleasure to offer this precious setting to Theo. Since then, it still hangs on the wall of his room at his mother's house.'

Hayez's uncle Jipe said that when the teen stayed at his house in Australia before his disappearance, the story of the poem came full circle. 

'Theo told me about this very special gift from his Dad when he discovered with surprise that I had the same poem framed on the wall of my office,' he said. 

Search efforts for the 19-year-old have continued into 2020, with police conducting DNA tests on hair found in what is believed to be Hayez's grey cap, which was discovered in bushland off Tallows Beach.

The hat was found by a member of the public in the same area where the last 'ping' from Theo's phone was recorded on June 1 around the Cape Byron Lighthouse.

Hayez's family is certain the hat is his - but DNA testing on the material was inconclusive.

RELATED ARTICLES

Previous

Next

Heartbreaking development in the case of missing backpacker... Fresh twist in case of missing Theo Hayez as close relative...

Share this article

The family have maintained Hayez was not alone on the night he disappeared.

The leading theory in Hayez's disappearance is that he fell while trying to climb cliffs near Tallows Beach and his body washed away. 

Police began a land, sea and air search when they were alerted to his disappearance by staff at the Wake Up! Hostel in Byron Bay on June 6.

Hostel staff raise the alarm after finding his belongings, including his passport, left untouched.

Theo's family have fought tirelessly to find out what happened after he went missing in Byron Bay last year (Mr Hayez (centre) pictured with his friend and Theo's female cousin) at a media conference in 2019

Search efforts for the 19-year-old have continued into 2020, with police conducting DNA tests on hair found in what is believed to be Theo's grey cap, which was discovered in bushland off Tallows Beach 

Data from Theo's phone has traced this route as his last known movements before he vanished on the night of May 31 2019

Hayez's father, Laurent Hayez, 수요웹툰 flew into Australia that month and made an emotional public appeal to help find his so

/>'I promised Theo's little brother that I would bring his brother home. Please, help me keep my promise to him,' he told reporters through tears at Tweed Heads Police Statio

/>Hayez's disappearance made headlines around the world and several volunteer groups formed to search for hi

/>The case has been referred to the NSW coroner.

/>Hayez's godfather Jean-Philippe Pector says he is still overwhelmed with grief as the one year anniversary of Theo's disappearance loom

/>'In my mind, somewhere, I don't want to believe that it happened — I don't know if it's a way to protect myself,' he told

r />'When I wake up at night, my brain does not stop working on what should I do, or is there more to

r />He insists that the search for Theo will not stop until 'we think we have nothing more to do'. 

r />Theo (pictured with his girlfriend) was travelling around Australia on a gap year after finishing school in Belgium
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수

오늘 :
214 / 658
어제 :
194 / 745
전체 :
569,769 / 18,841,470

XE Login