id="mod_13386729">
I believe, education is one of those things that are being taken and adopted with many of the wrong concepts. The essence of education and being educated is being almost vanished from the hearts of the teachers and from the minds of the students. The concept has been taken wrong, wrong enough to dilute the mind of students and mix it with the material things like 'only good grades' (with no logic at all & even by the way cheating and copying) or the dreams of that high-paying job even when you have to do the wrong things (like tax evasion etc).

mrpKvk6.jpgThis article of mine is an attempt to remind the basics of education and its importance beyond monetary rewards. I hope many people will try to find out the positivity (apart from only skewing the negative points) and will get the concept right.

So ... WHAT IS EDUCATION?

Let's get the concept right. WHAT IS EDUCATION?

You may find many answers about WHAT IS EDUCATION. But according to the definition given at website Education is:

"Education in the largest sense is any act or experience that has a formative effect on the mind, character or physical ability of an individual. In its technical sense, education is the process by which society deliberately transmits its accumulated knowledge, skills and values from one generation to another."

I know this definition will not be comprehended easily by many readers. So, for the sake of the common man's understanding, there are some ‘easy to understand' definitions of Education with the same flavor.

SIMPLE definitions of Education

We can understand the real essence of education by reading and grasping the gist of any of the following explanations:

1. The act or process of education that leads a person to better understanding of the situations in his life.

2. The process of imparting and acquiring knowledge and training to grow one's intellectual and mental capabilities, so as to make mature decisions in different situations.

3. The learning process by which any knowledge can be obtained.

4. An enlightening experience.

Whatever definition you may find interesting or accurate. One thing must be noted that the gist of all the above explanations for education lies in the passive idea of "Being educated". Unfortunately, what I think, has been the problem for many of our institutions is that they are seemed to forget the real pleasure of transferring, not only the books' texts into their pupils' brains, but the consciousness and sense that what they (the students) are getting here, is not only limited to securing good grades and to apply for a better job. The process of being educated is really far more precious and prestigious than only monetary terms.

Image taken from website

This is my request and a responsbility to inform, guide, assist and carve a path for all the younger ones out there (and of course to all the teachers and managers of educational institutes), to please look at the BIGGER PICTURE, do not get stuck with only the grades that you are getting, or just that 6-8 hours that you are spending going to school or college and strutting back towards home. There is nothing to be proud of unless and until you are tasting the real essence of education and that can only be happened possible if you get the basic concept right, do some efforts apart from your teacher, do not go with the traditional way or the norms or the customs, if they are wrong. None of you will die of hunger, but if you put your moral ethics behind you, that will sure convert you into a living-dead-body with no emotions, no sensitivity and no education whatsoever. This is a call to moral ethics, and the younger generations have to understand this for a better, civilized and ethically correct world. Not like this one, where commercialization and materialism overcame and ruined the moral obligations and ethics within people. Some differences were important to distinguish humans from other creatures. But unfortuntely, they all are faded and blurred.

Other articles about SOCIAL AWARENESS

Here are some other articles of mine, about SOCIAL AWARENESS, KIDS & EDUCATION:

1. KIDS FOR SALE

2. EDUCATION FOR EVERYONE? THINK AGAIN!

3. CHILD LABOR - The Innocence Killed

Related

Educational Online Resources

Free Online Education with the Khan Academy
by j-u-i-c-e4

Teaching

The Three Pillars of Education: Learning, Teaching, and Assessment
by Eman Abdallah Kamel8

Word Definitions & Meanings

Take a Word.... Morph: Etymology, Definitions, Uses, a Cartoon, Morphology and a Poem
by Ann Carr30

Popular

Elementary School Lesson Plans

CC Cycle 3 Week 3 Lesson for Abecedarian Tutors
by Shannon0

Teaching

A Perspective Towards Online Education During Covid-19 Lockdown.
by Amit Sharma0

Lesson Plans

Project Based Learning Science - Lesson Plans for PBL
by Heidi Reina6

Comments

Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

0 of 8192 characters used
Post Comment

No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.

sending

aqhan

4 years ago

wow, great deffinition and

shireen

5 years ago

excellent proof

pawan

5 years ago

Education is life and life is education

kerlund74

6 years ago from Sweden

Great hub. The learning process starts when we are born and continue all life. During education our learning is supposed to get a boost. But never the less important to encourage children's learning process at home to.

bebo

7 years ago

ya.... guys edu. is vry importnt...

Daryln Cochrane

8 years ago from New York, NY

I agree with you. I believe it is very important for parents to educate their children at home before attending school. Children of ages 3-4 can learn much of what is being taught to them in Kindergarten and first grade. Starting school already knowing how to read and having the concept of learning from a "teacher" makes it so much easier for a child to excel in school in their early years. This will help them to continue on that path in higher grades. I remember being in first grade and reading stories to the class instead of the teacher and I felt so proud to be able to do that! Nice hub. Voted up!

taw2012

8 years ago from India

you are absolutely right. students have to be motivated so as to reap from them..........

AUTHOR
Syed Hunbbel Meer

9 years ago from Karachi, Pakistan.

Yeah absolutely right. But I found it rare enough to make me happy :P

Actually I think the environment has been developed all around in such a way, that a pupil's mindset has been changed. Apart from this fact, parents play an important role too. And a hectic schedule like this era's life destroys things even more.

Betty Johansen

9 years ago

It sounds like we've had similar experiences with students. Too many of them are unmotivated. I guess that's why it's so much fun to discover a youngster who cares about learning. Those are the ones who make it all worthwhile!

AUTHOR
Syed Hunbbel Meer

And it was an honor for me to write about this topic, and on some other social awareness issues, but I fear I won't be able to make the desired changes by writing some hubs, when people are not even ready to take the initiatives :(

AUTHOR
Syed Hunbbel Meer

@ Betty .. The process of pouring the vision doesn't seem to work for me at least :P

I teach many students as well, but I found the lack of motivation as the main hurdle in their growth. They are not ready to grow. The system, some unappropriate methods and traditional ways of teaching, indulging in other activities all are equal culprits in destroying our younger generations.

Betty Johansen

9 years ago

Great hub, Hunbbel! I wish we could open skulls and pour these concepts into the minds of our students. So many students in the U.S. seem to think education is some sort of punishment they have to endure. What a shock they're going to get when they leave school and realize that learning is a lifelong necessity.

Of course, one of the problems we teachers deal with is that, except with the very smartest and most motivated students, we are no longer allowed to educate. We must teach a Test. Unless our students pass their state-generated tests, they don't graduate and the school loses essential funding.

Your hub presents a liberating, empowering vision of education. I hope someday the politicians will figure it out.

Thanks for sharing your vision.

AUTHOR
Syed Hunbbel Meer

@ Coachb51

You know sir, this is one of the greatest feelings for me to be applauded by a man of your caliber and experience. I am really glad that you liked my effort and appreciated me. I am looking forward for more feedback from you, as it will help me grow :) Thanks a lot :)

AUTHOR
Syed Hunbbel Meer

@ Nan ... yes you are right. Parents are as much responsible as the teachers are. I myself is involved in teaching, my parents have been in teaching for the last 40 or so years. I know it's become quite difficult when the parents are not ready to take up their responsibilities.

And about the competency of teachers, I must say that I met dozens of teachers who are in the field, other than the purpose of TEACHING. They don't have any command on their own subject. All they need is that monetary reward/salary.

coachb51

9 years ago from West Point, MS

After working as a teacher for 25 years I really appreciate your thoughts

Nan

9 years ago

Education is a life long journey and https://www.vingle.net/posts/2908354 you should never stop learning in some form. You can learn by book or experience. Test scores for kids are in some cities are low, they can't understand the information that is presented to them. You are right it is the teacher's fault. They should be able to teach so the student can learn. I have taught 10th grade and the students could only read at the 3rd grade level. They were just move along from grade to grade. This was in special education of course. Parents have a responsibility to educate their own children after school. They need to expose them to other information and their school work. Do their homework with them. Teach them the importance of learning. Not all teachers are competent and don't seem to know how to TEACH. I am glad you brought the issue up in a hub.
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수

오늘 :
144 / 385
어제 :
205 / 695
전체 :
577,268 / 18,866,541

XE Login