Half a lifetime after he became the Premier League's youngest goalscorer, James Milner was amused watching his fresh-faced Liverpool pals celebrate becoming champions of England.

'I was joking that Trent [Alexander-Arnold] thinks it's really easy this football lark,' smiles Milner, the grandee of Jurgen Klopp's magnificent team. 'Winning Champions League finals, winning the Premier League. It's like shelling peas!'

Alexander-Arnold is 21, CrystalHolidays Milner 34. And the older man knows moments like Liverpool's first league title for 30 years have to be savoured. Milner was once the wonderkid himself when he scored for Leeds at 16. After spells at Newcastle and Aston Villa, he won two championships as a solid citizen at Manchester City before his current role as the wise old counsel in Klopp's star-studded dressing-room.

James Milner has revealed the secrets behind Liverpool's Premier League title success

RELATED ARTICLES

Previous

Next

Norwich 1-2 Manchester United (aet): Harry Maguire 118th... Manchester United were forced to turn to their big guns to... Gunning for the future! Meet the next generation of Arsenal... Celta Vigo 2-2 Barcelona: Barca go back on top of LaLiga......

Share this article

1.3k shares

Famously teetotal, he has been able to absorb the 72 hours since City's defeat at Chelsea confirmed Liverpool's title and is particularly pleased they put on a show worthy of champions, beating Crystal Palace 4-0 at Anfield the previous night.

'It was one of the proudest performances since I've been at the club,' he says. 'The manager set a challenge of how high a tempo we could set because playing behind closed doors is completely different. The boys were straight on it, chasing, showing their ability. Palace are well-organised. Watching how our guys went about it, they were incredible.'

It was weeks like this Milner dreamed of when he joined Liverpool from City in the summer of 2015, one of the few to predate Klopp. 'I like the fact people thought I was making a mistake,' he says. 'It's one of the things that drives you. 

'City is a great place but this was Liverpool, a hugely successful club but without that recent history of winning. They'd had the near miss in 2014 and I could still see the hangover when I came in — 'We nearly won the league'. That had to be got rid of.

Milner (R) has been embracing the celebrations with team-mates after Chelsea beat Man City

'I always thought how special it would be to win a league title. That was the one. To win the Champions League was fantastic but we knew everyone was desperate for this: how long it had been; how close they'd been; the context of great Liverpool teams.

'It's been great for us to enjoy it as players but think how long the fans have waited. Younger generations had only seen it on videos or online. Driving around the city, seeing all the flags outside houses, I know how much it means.'

The trick, as Manchester United learned under Sir Alex Ferguson, is to do it again and again. Liverpool look in good shape. The big players — Virgil van Dijk, Sadio Mane, Mo Salah — are in their prime. Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez provide youth and energy, skipper Jordan Henderson and Milner the savoir faire.

City twice failed to retain the title when Milner was there but he is sure no Klopp side will pat themselves on the back and disappear. 'This isn't a team that would ever go into autopilot,' he says. 'We don't have those characters or that attitude. Having said that, this is a new situation. We've shown we can bounce back after disappointments. It is a new challenge to go again when you've been successful.

Milner was twice unable to retain the Premier League title as a Manchester City player

'I don't see [relaxation] happening because of the manager and the way we do things. If you saw the tempo every day in training, even the players who aren't selected for a game — the pressure they put on the boys when we're doing shape is incredible.

'We know this will hurt Man City. They will come back firing. Other teams as well. I know from experience how difficult it is to defend the title. We were never at the races. Being as good next year won't be enough because when you are right at the top, everyone wants to take it away from you.'

Once the partying stops, Liverpool will return to action on Thursday at the Etihad. There are still records to play for and 15 points from the remaining seven matches will see them pass Pep Guardiola's 2018 team, the first to reach 100.

'How many chances are you going to get to do that?' says Milner, who also views the remaining fixtures as useful preparation for 2020-21 in the absence of a pre-season tour.

One of the most enduring images at Anfield this season was that of Milner, behind the dug-out, encouraging the youngest team in the club's history to beat Shrewsbury in the FA Cup. He believes the kids have been a part of the club's success and can break through, even though Liverpool can sign players from around the world.

The ex-Villa star has also hailed the progress of Liverpool's academy players this season

'The academy is a special place,' he says. 'It is not easy for young players to train with people like Virgil van Dijk and Sadio Mane. It would be easy to crumble or go unnoticed but they want to make an impression. It shows their personality and talent but also the environment here. The message is, 'Go on, show what you can do and make a claim'. It is engraved from the manager right through to the players.

'Curtis Jones has done fantastically well. Harvey [Elliott] has had game time at 16. You could see what a good player he can be from his first training session. I don't know what they are doing with right-backs at the academy, Neco [Williams] looked incredible coming on the other day. If he can learn to play left-back, that would help some of us out as well!'

Given Liverpool's unprecedented season, it is only fair for Milner to name-check other leaders in Klopp's team, too. 'Hendo [Henderson] is an incredible captain, you see what he's done, Virgil is obviously a big voice in the dressing-room. Gini [Wijnaldum], these types of guys,' he says. 'You could pull any two names out of a hat to share a dining table or share a room and they'd get on. That is hard to find. I'm always asked about team spirit and say 'it's good' but this is the most together dressing-room I've been in.

'Winning a league title is a big group effort. Right now, people not in the team realise their responsibility even more. With matches behind closed doors, you have to communicate; give vocal encouragement.

Milner celebrates with the Champions League trophy after Liverpool beat Tottenham in 2019

'I look back at the whole journey and credit has to go to the top for bringing in this manager and signing good players who were also good characters.

'At the beginning, we were incredible some games and then garbage. The back door would be open. But we made progress, we found a way to win ugly if we needed to.

'We've dealt with disappointments: two European final defeats; losing the league with 97 points. That was make or break. Could we go again? I'm proud to be part of a team that managed to do it.'

It is why it was so important for Liverpool's players to be together when Stuart Attwell's whistle at Stamford Bridge ended 30 years of hurt.

Milner explains: 'I've been fortunate to win the league in different ways. Last second of a season. Last game of the season. Now the earliest ever in games left.

'What I'll remember is being together when it happened. I stood at the back, watching the game but also the lads and their reaction when the goals went in; the excitement.

'Seeing that joy will stick with me a long time. I've seen what the boys have gone through: the pain; hard work; sweat; rockets from the manager. We've all done it together. To be together when we won it was the most special thing.'

RELATED ARTICLES

Previous

Next

Norwich 1-2 Manchester United (aet): Harry Maguire 118th... Manchester United were forced to turn to their big guns to... Gunning for the future! Meet the next generation of Arsenal... Celta Vigo 2-2 Barcelona: Barca go back on top of LaLiga......

Share this article

1.3k shares
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수

오늘 :
125 / 416
어제 :
195 / 633
전체 :
577,044 / 18,865,877

XE Login