Mack Horton has broken his silence on revelations teammate Shayna Jack failed a drug test following his anti-doping protest against Chinese swimmer Sun Yang. 

hqdefault.jpgThe 23-year-old came under fire at the world championships in South Korea last Sunday when he refused to stand on the podium alongside Yang after winning a silver medal. 

Just a few days later, Horton was left in an awkward position after news broke his fellow Dolphins team member Jack, 20, had tested positive for drug Ligandrol, forcing her to pull out of the competition.

But despite the controversy, Horton said Jack's positive test hadn't changed his position on doping, saying he supported the decision to have Jack withdraw from the race. 

Awkward: Mack Horton has said teammate Shayna Jack's positive test hadn't changed his position on doping, saying he supported the decision to have Jack withdraw from the competition

Revelations of Ms Jack's reason for pulling out of the swim event come after swimmer Mack Horton (left) staged a protest against Chinese swimmer Sun Yang (centre)

'I was disappointed to learn late yesterday that a fellow Dolphins team member had recently returned a positive A sample,' Horton said. 

'I applaud the decision to immediately withdraw the athlete in question from further competition until this matter is resolved.

'My position remains firm - clean sport must be a priority for all athletes, all sports and all nations.' 

Swimming Australia chief Leigh Russell admitted she was 'distressed' watching Horton stage his protest, knowing Jack had been guilty of doping. 

Jack initially failed her test on June 26, but Russell couldn't disclose the results under SA and national anti-doping body ASADA's confidentiality rules.  

She described the situation as a 'difficult one.'  

'I absolutely support Mack. He's entitled to say and do on an issue that he is passionate about and we are too. This has not changed our thinking on a zero-tolerance approach or our policy,' she told Nine. 

'But I certainly was watching Mack (protest), distressed about what would befall both Shayna and Mack in the coming days and week (once news of the positive test broke).' 

Russell also made clear the organisation was standing by Horton saying Jack's suspension shows the 'system is working.' 

'Swimming Australia simply couldn't speak under the ASADA rules, unless ASADA or the athlete came forward without particular information,' she told Sunrise on Monday. 

Shayna Jack had been dreaming of representing her country on the world stage since she was two years old

Shayna Jack had been dreaming of representing her country on the world stage since she was two years old

The rising sporting star is also a keen participant on social media and shares sponsored posts

'We absolutely support Mack Horton, we have a zero tolerance policy in relationship to performance-enhancing drugs. 

'Jack not competing at the world Championships demonstrates how our system is working.'

Jack addressed the scandal on social media on Sunday, and is adamant she has no idea how the substance was in her body and will fight to keep her 2020 Tokyo Olympics hopes alive.

She pleaded with her followers to understand she had nothing to gain and everything to lose by dabbling in prohibited substances ahead of her 2019 World Championships debut, where athletes are subject to daily testing. 

Her social media channels are filled with international trips for her sport.

Jack has recently travelled to the United States, Budapest, Tokyo, Hawaii and various locations around Australia in the name of her sport. 

The 20-year-old is the latest rising star to be embroiled in a doping scandal, having tested positive to Ligandrol during a routine drug test last month (pictured during a training trip in Phuket)

Jack (left) made her debut for Australia in 2017, where she won two silvers in Budapest, but gained further credibility when she swam alongside the sisters at the Commonwealth cheat slot games and Tokyo Pan Pacifics in 2018 to secure a team gold medal

'I love being able to travel the world,' she previously said.

'I've been to so many different places. Some of my friends haven't even left the country before so that's really special to me.'

Like many millennials - Jack's entire teenage life is documented on her Instagram account, from formal dances to international getaways and her many swimming accomplishments.

With 15,000 followers before the scandal broke, Jack was already a budding Instagram influencer, inking deals with the likes of Koala mattresses and Hi-Smile teeth whitening.

Her social media has also affiliated her with brands including Hyundai, McDonald's McHappy Day, Spotify and various protein shakes.

Her social media has also affiliated her with brands including Hyundai, McDonalds McHappy Day (pictured), Spotify and various protein shakes

The young freestyler is friends with the Campbell sisters - royalty in the modern Australian competitive swimming era

She has gained more than 3,000 new followers in a matter of hours following the doping allegations -  and that number continues to grow (Pictured: Jack with her boyfriend Joel Rintala)

Since the scandal and despite significant public backlash, Jack's online stardom appears to be on the rise.

She has gained more than 3,000 new followers in a matter of hours, and that number continues to grow. 

The young freestyler is friends with the Campbell sisters - royalty in the modern Australian swimming era. 

Jack made her debut for Australia in 2017, where she won two silvers in Budapest, but gained further credibility when she swam alongside the sisters at the Commonwealth Games and Tokyo Pan Pacifics in 2018 to secure a team gold medal. 

An avid horse rider and animal lover, Jack refused to place all her eggs in one basket, despite the promising swimming career she had forged in her early years.

She often spends her free time volunteering or visiting local RSPCA animal shelters
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수

오늘 :
231 / 611
어제 :
250 / 634
전체 :
576,018 / 18,862,194

XE Login