Dame Judi Dench or Sir David Attenborough should front public service broadcasts to help communicate key messages during the coronavirus outbreak, ministers have been told.

Sir David Amess told the House of Commons the much-loved screen stars are 'very well respected' and are likely to be 'listened to in the way not all politicians are listened to'.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his ministers have led have the communications effort to help combat the spread of COVID-19, supported by medical and scientific experts.

More than 9,500 people in Britain have been infected in the pandemic to date, with 465 deaths reported as a result of the virus.  

Sir David Amess told the House of Commons that Sir David Attenborough (pictured) and Dame Judi Dench are 'very well respected' and are likely to be 'listened to in the way not all politicians are listened to'

Speaking in the Commons, Sir David said: 'Something that has occurred to me is not all parliamentarians are blessed with great oratorical skills because the way we deal with matters in this House has changed dramatically.

'I'm not offering my voice, it'd be a big turn-off. Now, the Dimbleby family had wonderful broadcasting voices which reassured the general public.

RELATED ARTICLES

Previous

Next

Who should you ask for help if coronavirus symptoms strike?... Public Health England official claims DIY 'finger prick'...

So much for social-distancing! NYC's Subway service is...

Share this article

'I just feel if there is an issue for the Government in getting out messages to the general public - although I think it is getting better at the moment, I saw as I drove here this morning the queues outside supermarkets.

'People do seem now to be observing the distancing between each other and they do seem to be thinking more seriously about gathering in social places.

'But I do say to the minister, if we're going to do a few public service broadcasts, I can't think of anyone better than Sir David Attenborough or Dame Judi Dench to be asked would they do a couple of broadcasts for us.

He said 'not all parliamentarians are blessed with great oratorical skills because the way we deal with matters in this House has changed dramatically' (Pictured: Dame semangat88 situs judi deposit pulsa Dench)

Pictured: Boris Johnson (left) and Sir David Attenborough at the launch of the next COP26 UN Climate Summit at the Science Museum, London

'Because I think they're very well respected, they're probably listened to in the way that not all politicians are listened to.

'I haven't been in touch with them but I would assume they'd only be too delighted to help.'  

The suggestion came after it was revealed today that Prince Charles has tested positive for coronavirus. 

The Prince of Wales, 71, has a 'mild' form of the illness and is on the Balmoral estate with his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, who has tested negative and is without any symptoms of the virus. 

A royal source said Charles' doctor's most conservative estimate was that the prince was contagious on March 13 - 24 hours after 'briefly' meeting his 93-year-old mother the Queen.

A couple sit on a bench in Hyde Park, London today after Boris Johnson announced strict lockdown measures urging people to stay at home

The Queen and Philip, 98, were already at Windsor Castle when the announcement from Clarence House was made today.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: 'Her Majesty remains in good health. The Queen is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare'. 

The UK entered a three-week lockdown on Monday after Boris Johnson announced the closure of all non-essential shops, as well as playgrounds and churches in a bid to stop the spread of the virus.

The Prime Minister also banned gatherings of more than two people and said family reunions, weddings, baptisms and other social events must be cancelled to stop the NHS collapsing under the strain of the pandemic.   

But Britons today continued to flout the rules by heading out to sunbathe on the second day of the draconian measures.

Footage emerged showing police dispersing those gathered in parks and other public places despite strict advice from the Government to stay at home.   
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수

오늘 :
224 / 756
어제 :
278 / 791
전체 :
571,821 / 18,848,998

XE Login